We would like to share an article from ConnectPA in regards to the the latest announcement from Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
The Prime Minster, Boris Johnson has announced a range of additional measures in an attempt to tackle the spread of coronavirus. In a speech aired this evening, he stated that the new measures were “vital” to slow the spread of the virus, “protect the NHS and save more lives”. To enforce these new restrictions, the police will have powers to issue fines and disperse gatherings. The new limitations are as follows:
People will be limited to leaving their homes for the following purposes only:
- Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
- One form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of the same household
- Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home
In addition to these measures, the Prime Minister also stated that further restrictions would come into force immediately:
- The closure of all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores and other premises including libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms, and places of worship
- Stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public – excluding people from the same household
- Stopping all social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies, but excluding funerals
The new restrictions will be in place for at least three weeks, with the Prime Minister stating that they will be kept “under constant review” and relaxed “if the evidence shows we are able to”.