At Tops Day Nurseries, we have recently invested in being a greener company to help the environment. Since joining Green Positive Environmental Action (PEA) at the beginning of this year we have already made significant changes to reducing our carbon footprint.
One of the biggest changes has been the fitting of fuel-saving magnets to every gas boiler and water main across each nursery, as well as Hadland Care Group Head Office.
The children have shown a huge amount of interest in recycling, being able to sort out plastic from cardboard and using materials to make robots, animals and other wonderful creations using their imaginations.
We would like to share some ideas for you to try at home in these quick and easy 3 step recycled animal crafts.
Paper plate peacock
What you need:
-1 paper plate
-1 piece of card
-Any additional chosen decorations
- Cut a pear/skittle shape from your chosen card colour for the body of the peacock
- Ask your child to decorate the paper plate with paint, feathers, stickers… whatever they wish to use!
- Draw two eyes and a beak onto the top half of your pair shaped cut out and glue it to the plate.
Egg carton caterpillar
What you need:
-1 empty egg carton
-Pom poms or paint
-1 pair googly eyes
-1 pipe cleaner
- Cut 1 strip of the carton and place upside down ready to decorate
- Ask your child to decorate each ‘bump’ using pom poms or paint
- Once dry, add 2 googly eyes to the front and fix a pipe cleaner to the top to create antennas
-What you need:
- Paint your shells read and stick 2 googly eyes in the middle
- Use pipe cleaners to make 8 legs
- Add 2 more pipe cleaners to the front and bend to make the pinchers, or alternatively use 2 closed, small seashells.
To find your local Tops Day Nursery, please click here. We would love to see your creations, please feel to email us at email@example.com for a chance for your child’s masterpiece to feature in the next Tops Magazine!