Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serving suggestion: Serve with vegan frosting
For the Cake:
- 200g ground almonds
- 50g of polenta
- 80g of plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100g of aquafaba
- 75g of honey or agave syrup
- 100g of olive oil
- 1 large orange, zested and peeled
- 100g of non-dairy butter, melted
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp. of marmalade
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 5 and Grease a bundt tin or individual cake tin.
- Place the ground almonds, polenta, mixed spice, flour and baking powder in a bowl and mix together. Whisk the aquafaba in a stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the honey or agave and continue to whisk until dissolved.
- Cut the zested and peeled orange into quarters (reserve the zest for garnishing). Place the olive oil, golden syrup and quartered orange into a blender and blitz until a smooth paste has formed. Add the melted butter, then add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Fold gently until just combined.
- Fold in the aquafaba meringue then pour the mixture into the greased cake tin. Bake for 35–45 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the cake is beginning to brown too much, cover with foil and continue to cook. Allow to cool slightly then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Mix the marmalade with the zest and juice of the second orange and pour the mixture over the cake