Tomato and lentil lasagne – Serves 5
Suggested portion size for recipe
1-4 years – 150g
1-2 years- 130g
3-4 years- 170g
- 1 small onion, peeled – 60g
- Garlic, peeled – 1 clove
- Olive oil – ½ tablespoon
- Oregano – ½ teaspoon
- Tomato puree – 15g (1 tablespoon)
- Canned tomatoes, chopped – 100g (½ x 200g can)
- Water- 400ml
- Red lentils, dried- 60g
- Soft margarine – 20g
- Plain flour – 20g
- Whole milk 200ml
- Lasagne sheets – 90g (5-6 sheets)
- Cheddar cheese, full fat – 30g
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4.
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pan on a medium heat, add the onions and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes until the onion has softened. Then add the oregano, tomato purée, canned tomatoes, water and lentils and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Prepare a roux white sauce: in a separate pan melt the margarine on a low heat. Once it has melted, stir in the flour cook on a low heat for 1–2 minutes. Gradually add the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously, bringing the milk mixture to the boil until thickened.
- In an ovenproof dish, layer the tomato and lentil mixture and lasagne sheets and top with a layer of white sauce.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle on the top. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until piping hot throughout and golden on top.